Private Detective Blackburn Escapee Suffers Frostbite and Turns Self In

The bitterly cold temperatures were too much for an inmate on the run. LEX 18 was there Monday as 42-year-old Robert Vick turned himself into Lexington Police, riddled with frostbite.

Officers took him into custody at the Sunset Motel, only a few miles from the Blackburn Correction Complex where he escaped Sunday night.

People there said Vick showed up freezing and asking to be turned into police. “He was ready to go back ha ha,” said Maurice King who manages the Sunset Motel.

After Vick walked away from his six-year sentence for burglary and five-year sentence for criminal possession of a forged instrument, Mother Nature had a harsher punishment.

“He’s frostbit, his toes and his fingers,” said Victoria Fugate who was staying at the Sunset Motel. “He was shivering he was really cold,” added King.

The winter weather was too much even for a man desperate for freedom. Sunday night he was asking for help when he showed up to Fugate’s door. “He was hungry the dude knocked on our door, we gave him a ham and cheese sandwich, we gave him some hot chocolate,” said Fugate.

Little did she know, he was on the run. “The next thing you know today (Monday) they are here they are arresting him, he’s frostbit. Our barns out back, I guess he slept there,” said Fugate.

Police said he broke into an abandoned farmhouse, stole some clothes and went to sleep. “He said he stayed in a house up here on a farm,” said King.

Monday morning Vick showed up at the motel, again asking for help. “He said can you call the law on me? and I kind of looked at him I thought he was crazy or something,” said King. However, he called police, and said Robert Vick wanted to turn himself in.

“I don’t even think the dispatcher believed me,” said King. Moments later officers showed up with an ambulance and took Vick to the University of Kentucky Hospital.

Now, the people who helped him have a few words of wisdom. “That was stupid ‘especially in the cold weather’ yeah really stupid,” said Fugate.

Vick was released from the University of Kentucky Hospital, and was back in the Blackburn Correctional Complex Monday night.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS
  • LinkedIn
This entry was posted in Private Investigator Lexington. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.