Private Detective: Manhunt Ends After 6 Days

After six days, three shoot outs and nearly a dozen police agencies later a Cumberland county community is at ease Friday night.

The convicted rapist and robber, Floyd Ray Cook, was shot and killed Friday morning.

“It’s sad, it’s very sad,” said Susan Cross after police shot and killed the dangerous career criminal who had been on the run since Saturday.

It was her tip that led investigators to Cook when she spotted him on her brother’s property Thursday night.

“What I did, of course the lights come on, and he stood right here just as still as he could be,” said Cross. “I thought I was seeing something.”

Cross immediately went inside the house and called police.

“We were able to tighten up our perimeter look in a smaller area and eventually came into contact with him,” said Trooper Billy Gregory, Kentucky State Police.

Trooper Gregory said the helicopter was able to spot Cook with a thermal camera.

He was lying in an embankment, armed.

When two troopers and a U.S. Marshal approached Cook, he opened fire.

“I said get in the bathroom,” Cross said. “Get in the bathroom away from the windows.”

Hours later, the Cumberland County Coroner pronounced Cook dead at the scene.

“Regardless of who he was and what his history was we hate that it ended this way,” said Trooper Gregory. “That’s not what we want ever.”

With Cook shot dead and his alleged accomplices behind bars people in Cumberland County say they’ll sleep a little better.

“I hate it,” said a neighbor.”I hate it but he had to go.”

“I hate it had come to this but you know we didn’t know what he was gonna do,” said Cross. “He had a chance to turn himself in and he didn’t.”

Troopers say Cook was shot several times, no officers were hurt.

Click here for more information on the six-day long manhunt.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS
  • LinkedIn
This entry was posted in Private Investigator Lexington. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.